Wedding websites are gaining popularity among today's newly-weds, and rightfully so. Having a wedding website is a great way to share the wedding excitement with the world. There are so many benefits to having a wedding website - here are a few of them:
1. Before the wedding you can use the website to excite your future guests and entertain them with preliminary photos, count down, before- wedding journal, and the like. This is also a great way to remember the exiting days before the wedding, after you get married.
2. You can also make good use of your wedding website, in more practical ways, such as for wedding gift list management, arrival confirmation, directions and other practical information about the wedding day.
3. After the wedding is over, you can keep the website up as a reminder of the event, and, you can share pictures and videos with the world through the website. Imagine your relatives in another state - they ca see the wedding pictures at their home!
When you go about getting your own wedding website, you really have two main options - to build one yourself, or to get a ready made solution, that you can customize to your own need. Unless you are already an experienced webmaster, I recommend you don't built your own website. This is because building your own site takes a lot of time and effort, as well as some kind of financial investment. And, in most cases, your website will eventually come out less attractive than the ready made solution, unless you are a great graphic designer. Bottom line - just like you take a professional photographer to film your wedding, you should take a professional wedding website company as your wedding website solution provider. This will save you a lot of head aches.
So, what should you look for when you go fishing for a wedding website? I can think of a few key components:
1. A free trial - many wedding website companies will give you a free trial of 7 days, than, you will need to pay a monthly fee. In my opinion, you should pay no more than $19 a month. There are some great companies out there that will give you great websites at this price.
2. Choose design - in most cases you will be able to choose a design for your website, out of 100's of existing designs. So make sure there are some attractive designs you can choose from.
3. Can you have your own domain? Many wedding website companies will give you a sub domain of their own, like johnandmarie.mywedding.com. You should be able to replace that with a full, "clean" domain you register on your name.
4. wedding planning tools - your website should include wedding project planning tools that will help you plan and budget your wedding.
5. Your wedding website should able your guests to confirm their arrival at the site (that way they don't need to call you especially)
6. Directions, pools, quizzes - all these all value to your website.
7. Upload pictures and videos - make sure your site supports uploading pictures. The videos part is a bit more of a problem, since they take more space. It's best to find out in advance what are the policies in regards to videos.